Thursday, February 28, 2008

This is why I never assume!

Okay, MY MISTAKE. I had a little 4 year old boy today, cute as ever. I had totally thought this day would be a piece of cake and I would have extra time...I had 3 PE's set up to pass off, xrays planned and I would even finish clinic early. HA! First of all, he spoke only some English, liked biting his teeth together (unannounced) and LOVED sticking his tongue out continuously..... Secondly, X-rays were impossible and I spent forever in the x-ray lab trying to take digitals, conventional, anything but no! That little tongue pushed everything out! I even had Prof. Costley try to help and she couldn't get him to keep the film in either. So I moved on to trying to clean his teeth. That tongue again - it was so curious and everytime I put an instrument in his mouth he had to check it out and follow it everywhere with his tongue. So I did some OHI with him and I was trying to teach him how to brush his whole tooth and not just the surfaces that were lucky enough to get caught in the fast sweep of the bristles on 2 swipes. I tried to explain "small circles". He preceded to put the toothbrush in the center of his mouth and make big circles with it (it didn't connect with any tooth surfaces).. Finally, while trying to pass off my diagnodent PE he fell asleep in my chair. I GIVE UP!! I feel like I totally wasted a clinic and we all know every day really counts!

No comments: