Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I finished my 1B patient from last month and made an interesting finding. During her extraoral exam I noticed a small bruise on the back of her neck, which I thought might be a hickey :) (she's 18 years old) I asked her about it. I said there's a bruise on the back of your neck did you fall? And she kind of hesitated and then said "yah". I didn't think anything more of it other than that is a weird place to fall and leave a mark. So then, she was getting ready to walk out and as I stepped out behind her I saw another bruise on the other side of her neck. The bruise was the size of the middle fingertip and not as heavily bruised as the smaller mark on the left side. I said Hey, you have another bruise on the other side of your neck did you know that? She said no, so I said do you know how it might have happened and she said no I can't think of anything but it doesn't really hurt. To me it looked like she had been grabbed by the back of the neck. The size of the bruises were fingertip size and the spacing would have been appropriate as well. I wished that I would have noticed the other bruise earlier on because maybe I could have questioned her a little further. Just a note to everyone else, remember that we need to be aware of the other areas besides just the oral cavity. You never know what you might see.....

1 comment:

The Pyper's! said...

crazy!! And what do you really say after the basic questions?? I guess all we can do is document well! Sad that she is only 18!!