Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yeah a mock board patient

Just the word mock and board have struck fear in me since the moment I began dental hygiene. I wouldn't even read the qualifications that were sent out in my summer packet because it seemed like the impossible!

However, it happened, and oh yes - I too have a mock board patient!! I feel SO LUCKY! Other than the fact that I had to spend my whole clinic time screening and didn't get any credit for tx since I couldn't scale anywhere in his mouth. It was worth the trade though :)

Overall, it was a very unproductive day. My afternoon patient ended up being a class IV, only counting as a class III and I only finished 1 quad. Her calculus was so deep that on the lingual of #8, Instructor Wold completely buried a Gracey. HOLY &^%$!! It made me nauseous just watching.

I feel better about patient tx and yet I know my downfall is that I need to go deeper with both my ultrasonic and hand instrumenting. I worry so much about damaging root surfaces or tissue trauma that I think it holds me back. This is what I really need to work on.

No comments: